Feel free to add comments and give suggestions. All opinions and ideas are welcome.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Day 7

July 30, 2010- aka Alok's older sister's birthday. Happy Birthday Purvi!!

Hello. Alok here with my first post. So, I think I may have underestimated the amount of work that the house needed...but I'm looking forward to all of it, well, except the mold. I am concerned about the mold. As Jessie has said, once the roofing is done we can tackle that monster.

I am excited to start working on the garden. I found a good deal on a hedgetrimmer and chainsaw, and now I'm armed and dangerous (mostly to myself). There are a lot of really great things to work with in the garden, and I can tell that a lot of care was given to the garden, well up until about three years ago. Initially, I will just try to get the front yard presentable. Okay, here is Jessie with an update.
-Alok


Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... sorry, I think I just fell asleep reading Alok's post. When he saw me write that, hesaid "how rude" in true Michelle Tanner style. I think maybe the mold spores sucked out his sense of humor. As Alok said, the work on this house may have been underestimated by us. As Casey said, when you have a 100 year old house, you have 100 years of people cutting corners and messing stuff up.

My main concern right now is that Alok and I have watched WAY too many B rated horror flicks to live in this house. He had a nightmare about a crazy chainsaw massacre (due to the new chainsaw purchase) and I jumped because I thought I saw something in the creepy mirror. May seem silly to most of you, but try watching House of a Thousand Corpses and then see how you feel.

So here is the progress for today. We did a lot of wallpaper peeling (we= me for the whole day and then Alok and my mom after work). Here is it before:



Dining area

After:




Before (front room):



After:



Here is before (foyer):


And after:

This is the foyer. Alok decided to move the massive mirror, which had this substance under it:

As well as grasspaper. We don't know what it is, but it's very hard to get off.


Alok scrapping away.

Look what was discovered under the wallpaper in the dining room. Children's drawings or a secret message? You decide:



There were a lot of initials of the Brown kids who lived there before the Kaufmans and in this last picture it says '64.

Alok worked on the laundry room (aka the tetanus room) today. He ripped out the desk. Here is before:




And After:




BTW, did I mention that we have a fire alarm that will be set off if any smoke detector in the house goes off (see the horn in the upper right hand corner in this picture?). We should probably figure out how to work that in case it goes off.


Alok's bent screwdriver..... it was taking out by a nail on the floor

BTW, when I came in today the massive air conditioner had mysteriously made it's way from the roof into the yellow bedroom.



Hmmm.... no one was home at the time. Glad to know our place is secure.

Last random find of the day. Look at the wall on the right in the picture below. Notice anything?



Wall in west side of front room

Why the heck is it curved?

Oh, the roofers also made progress today, although it rained which I'm sure helped feed the mold and ever growing water damage.

Off to sleep to prepare for tomorrow....

Jessie

3 comments:

  1. Your blog about the house is awesome! It's so fun to read what's going. I didn't careful read everything, but you are only using a steamer to remove wall paper? That stringy paper is soo hard to remove!! I must say I love the pictures of Alex in the house! :) And you guys got to stop watching horror movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahaha i love the drawings and the mysterious air conditioner michelle bunch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Michelle.

    Hi other anonymous person ;-) We are using a steamer or hot water to remove the paper. And we will never stop watching the bad horror movies!!

    ReplyDelete