Feel free to add comments and give suggestions. All opinions and ideas are welcome.

Monday, August 2, 2010

Day 10

August 2, 2010

Well, today wasn't too exciting from a picture standpoint. I had a slow start because Alok and I took a detour to Palmyra, Missouri. He had an idea for the house that he wanted to show me (selling point= Alok said Palmyra had an awesome Mexican restaurant). For those of you who have never heard of Palmyra and quite possibly didn't know that Quincy was near Missouri, Palmyra is about a 18 minute drive away. We made our way to Missouri (aka 2 minutes from Alok's office) and stopped at two pawn shops. I felt like I was in an alternate universe, given the deer heads and guns on the wall. Anyway, Alok found a saw that he needed. So, he bought it and we continued to Palmyra where he showed me this stained glass window:


This looks smaller than it is. It's actually about 3.5 feet by about 6 feet

He proceeded to explain to me how this window would fit perfectly in this area of the house:



I wasn't convinced, but knowing that windows are about $1000 each and this was allegedly cheaper (Alok got $200 knocked off the listing price, but we'll see after installation, etc), and Alok yelling "we'll take it" and running off to take measurements when he got the price knocked down, we ended up with the window. Anyone know how to install a stained glass window? Or transport one from Palmyra without breaking it? Alok says he has it figured out, but volunteers are welcome. Pictures to come when we get to that part (after the roof is done, the mold is gone, he re-frames the window, etc).

After our return from Palmyra (post Mexican food which was surprisingly good for rural Missouri), I reluctantly went to the house. My cousin, Kandy, had offered to help and who was I to turn away free help! (Although I was so tired that I tried). So Kandy came over for a few hours, my aunt, Marsha, stopped by to help, and Missy also came to help again. We worked on washing the walls down (the next step post wallpaper removal). We got most of the way through the foyer. I would show pictures, but you won't be able to tell a difference. But here they are working:



I also worked on washing the walls when Alex would let me. She kept barking, crying, demanding to go outside, refusing to come in, etc. I literally had to carry her back in the house at one point. She was acting up so I had to have my mom come pick her up after work and take her home. Alex was worse than a kid today!

Thanks again ladies!

Jessica

5 comments:

  1. Love that you're blogging about this Jessica! It's so great to see you rehabbing a gem of Quincy!!! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the place where the window is supposed to go actually a window?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies!

    Purvi- it was actually a window. The one that came down with the really old air conditioner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe Alex saw a ghost, LMBO! i sooo wanted to buy that house, and i am now so glad i didn't. ;)

    you guys ROCK!

    ReplyDelete