Feel free to add comments and give suggestions. All opinions and ideas are welcome.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 14- posted late due to no internet

So, our long awaited hiatus is over! Alok and I went to Chicago on Friday (as did my mom and Alex) to move out of our condo and get everything ready for our closing, which is hopefully happening soon. I did work on the house on Friday and planned to post when we arrived in Chicago, but there was no unsecured internet to be found. But now, we're back. Let's pretend like today is Friday and I'll post what I planned on posting....

August 6, 2010

As Alok mentioned on Thursday, the air conditioning was broken. I called the air conditioning people and they were out in less than one hour. Apparently, the capacitor was broken. I didn't know air conditioners had capacitors! How great! Those of you who know me know where I'm going with this.... 1.21 gigawats! 1.21 gigawats!


We could have an air conditioner time machine that takes us back in time to see the original condition of the house. Pretty cool, huh?

Well, after things got cooled down, Alex decided again to use the house as a dog park and went crazy!!!



After I got her to stop attacking the tarp, I went to work on washing the walls. This time I was by myself and not even my Enimen, Rent, Glee ipod mix was helping. Washing walls doesn't make for good pictures, but again, the walls were smoother.


Smooth operator

Our wall washing on the first floor at least is almost done. Then, we get the fun job of replastering/ drywalling/ repairing walls. Or, I should say, the walls that have the wallpaper removed are almost done being washed. There are a few places that we still have wallpaper. AH! One is the apartment (the area they rented out until a few weeks ago).


Picture of apartment before we moved in. We call it the apartment since they rented it out as... you guessed it, as apartment. It is only separated from the rest of the house by a glass door and isn't really separated.

That yellow wall you see isn't painted... well it is... but it's painted wallpaper. NOOOOO!!! Alok and I are pretending that we didn't realize it and are leaving it for now. That being said, I hate this color and want to paint it. I worked at a substance abuse treatment center for a year and the room we were in was this color. The women always complained about the yellow walls. Now I feel like I'm in drug treatment when I'm in a room this color. Anyway, we'll probably leave it.

The second place where there is still noticeable wallpaper on the first floor is behind the massive non-period bookshelf.


What is that you see? Oh, more grasspaper!

Hopefully, we can remove this monstrosity without too much damage to this room and can get rid of this wallpaper. Wishful thinking, huh? We'll tackle that later.

Oh, we also just realized that the upstairs hallway has wallpaper. Sigh.



Since that area is a continuation of the downstairs carpet, we're trying to remove that prior to move in as well.

The good news with the house is that the roofers are making great progress. So far, we're very impressed with their speed and work.


New roof again


The backyard's a circus.

Although they are making great progress, the roof isn't completed, so mold watch 2010 is continuing.





Lovely air conditioning patching job with mold that I sprayed. We'll obviously need to re-patch.

The last discovery of the day was these old Life magazines, that are sitting in the parlor. I don't know where they came from, but they're interesting.



That's all for now!!

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment