Feel free to add comments and give suggestions. All opinions and ideas are welcome.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Play that funky music

August 23, 2010

Today, Craig (my cousin's husband) and Jim (his friend/I believe employer) made good progress on their continued gutting of the mold room. They moved on to the bathroom attached. Here is how it looks now:

View from mold room into the bathroom (opening on the right). This is the closet that was falling apart.







You can now see from the bathroom into the bedroom


bathroom closet

The only thing we plan on keeping in here is the medicine cabinet.

During their gutting process, they found 2 music boxes and 1 pair of shoes in the wall! I didn't get a chance to see the shoes (they were mold covered and were thrown away), but they were the old, button up type. Here are the music boxes:






Here is the music box working:


Cool/creepy! I hope we can move in time to host a Halloween party ;-)

We also finally got a dumpster and spent some time hauling out the wood that's been piling up:


I worked on scratching out more areas of the wall so that we can fix them and Alok worked outside. In an attempt to get rid of some of the mosquitoes, Alok worked on getting rid of the ivy in the back of the house. (I have about 20-30 bites on my body right now and I am not working outside and I wear bug spray; A friend from yesterday has about 20 just from walking through they yard). Most strains of ivy are also poisonous to dogs, so that's another motive (we hope to fence in the yard and don't want to worry about that; especially given that Alex already munched on one of my mom's plants today).

Here is the ivy he's attacking at the moment:







Here it is after:




This is pretty hard work, given that you have to cut it down then dig it out. He had to stop after a bit to go to the city council meeting.

I stayed at the house to meet with a plumber about getting new pipes. He said that our pipes are a mess and a mish-mosh of crap (shocking). We are working out a plan to put in new piping that we need now/will need later, so that we don't have to rip up walls that we just did. We also need a new hot water heater (we literally have little to no hot water). We'll see how that goes.

That's about it for today!

Jessica

ADD ON: I forgot to mention that Sears came out today. My mom waited for 2.5 hours and the guy told her that he didn't know how to work on a Bosch washer. He ordered a part and will be back in a week to fix it. I'll believe that when I see it.

Oh, and my mom removed the second set of numbers from our house (they had it at two addresses) so that we no longer confuse delivery people ;-)

4 comments:

  1. The really funny thing about the Sears repairman is that he was first on the floor looking at the dryer (they do look alike) and I said is that the washer or dryer? He had the wrong one!

    Charla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever seen the old movie The Money Pit? With Tom Hanks? I suggest you watch it this weekend and laugh. Don't cry, just laugh...

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the old music box. I think you should find a little girl to dress up in 1880's clothes walk around the house cranking out the little song. Would that be creepy enough for Halloween?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly- we watched it the other night. The big difference is that they sold a painting for 100K and then could pay contractors ;-)

    Vicki- good idea! That would be pretty creepy!

    ReplyDelete