Feel free to add comments and give suggestions. All opinions and ideas are welcome.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 17

August 9, 2010

Today I had my orientation for work. So, there was less time to work on the house today. Instead, the task of the day was to find a place for all of the stuff that we left in our Penske truck overnight post move from Chicago. BTW, Alok woke up at about 2am yesterday and asked me if we should have locked our Penske truck. The one on the street holding pretty much all of our belongings. Although we were in Quincy, I said yes. He rolled over and went back to sleep. Sigh. I can tell that story now that our belongings are no longer in an unlocked truck.

Moving isn't interesting, but I have some pictures. Not to complain too much, but moving is really horrible. Thanks to my parents for helping.

The apartment (now a storage area) as we start to move in.


Random things that were supposed to end up in the alley in Chicago, that somehow migrated to Quincy.


The apartment now

Our plan is to cover this all with plastic when we need to get the place mold/bugged bombed. All of our "cloth" items (e.g., bed, etc), with the exception of our couch, aren't there yet.

We were also super impressed with the roofers today. We mentioned earlier that we were worried about our Japanese maples. The roofers told us "we'll try to protect them." We took this to mean there wasn't much they would do. We were totally wrong.


They actually built boxes for the Japanese maples! How awesome is JDS Construction?! Very thrilled with this extra effort!

Also, they made a ton of progress. They are almost finished. WOO HOO!


Backyard ladders


New roof in this area.... That air conditioner you see in the left of this picture is actually cut through the siding. We need to fix that.


Bigger scrap metal lot of a backyard. BTW, I got about 8 new mosquito bites on my legs/face while taking these pics. The things I do for my blog ;-)


East side of the house


We also ordered our gutters from Peters today. The color choice was white. Why you may ask? We know they will look ridiculous until we paint the house (which is in such desperate need of paint), but we have decided on paint colors and they include white trim. What are these colors? They will be revealed later in the week.

Oh, Alok and I are debating one more thing. Keep or get rid of this metal spiral staircase in front of the house? The Kaufman's put it in due to fire regulations for the bed and breakfast. Some people say it adds characters. I think that having a big metal staircase in the front of the house takes away from the house. Thoughts?


Spiral staircase

Also, Terrell and Vicki thought that they found the original backstair well that would have existed in the house (this was a few weeks ago, but this is the first chance we had to check it out). Here is the entryway (now known as the apartment door):


Here is the now closet which appears to have a stair-like quality. Pretty cool (although it would be cooler if it was still there):



I also captured some more pictures today that I'll put in the things I don't understand category. I mean, why not drill into woodwork instead of putting a hole in an already destroyed wall?







I was a bad photographer and missed all of the curtain rods that were also drilled right into the woodwork instead of next to it. Good thing that the original molding is probably already gone.

BTW, we have had some very interesting history shared by both Vicki D. and Laura R. Big thanks to both of them. I also should mention that Laura is not from Quincy and I'm pretty sure she's never been here, so that's pretty cool that she found some articles. I'll leave you with that little teaser... more to come on the history and what they found later in the week.

Jessica

2 comments:

  1. Sell the spiral staircase to someone who thinks it's cool. It is cool, just not in the front of your house (my 2 cents)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't like the spiral staircase.

    ReplyDelete